We all know we need something out of life. But we fail to understand that life is not the destination. It’s a journey and like any other journey, there are destinations. Goals are nothing but the destinations we need to arrive at, to move further in our life.
As Lewis Carroll said – If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there!
Hence, it’s important that we set Goals to know where we are headed and where we want to arrive in the journey called Life
In this article, I will outline some strategies for setting Goals and this should give an overview of the kinds and categories of goals that we need to set for ourselves.
Let’s not procrastinate setting goals for ourselves as Goals give us direction to move and we need to keep moving to progress.
Outlined below are some strategies to set goals:
- Have Enough Reasons
- Personal Reasons – Feel the joy, love, respect for yourself and something that motivates you and you believe that things will work for you; that you can do what you want to do.
- Family Reasons – Think of someone who has been your pillar of strength, someone who believes in you. It is time you find a good reason to give back that love and a sense of gratitude.
- Nitty Gritty Reasons – These reasons could be anything; what’s got you turned on; what’s got you turned off; anything that gives you sleepless nights; material possessions etc…
- Long Range Goals – Learn to Dream. Dreams that you have been chasing but not wholeheartedly, not knowing where to begin! These are dreams that have always been in your subconscious mind but you never gave it enough fuel to burn and give you sleepless nights. Go for your Dreams…
- Short Range Goals – This is something that you wish to do today, tomorrow, in the coming week, in this month! Have daily, weekly and monthly goals as these are milestones that get you to your Long range goal – Your Dream.
Categories of Goals:
To assist you further in the goals setting process, following are some categories in which you could set your Goals:
- Economic Goals:
These are goals for your Money, Income, Business, Profits etc. You need to have goals for the money you would like to earn in a week, month and Year. This will help to remain focused on the tasks to help us achieve our goals
- Material Things:
We all are mortal and have material wishes – beautiful home, great car and material pleasures. Make a list of all things that you wish to have and set a goal for those.
- Personal Development:
Have a personal development goal for yourself – learn a new language, be a leader, be spiritual, be resourceful, learn new skills etc. This will help in developing your personality and make you feel good about yourself.
Acting on your Goals
Once you have set your goals, categorized them and set timelines, you need to act on those goals:
- Write your goals:
Keep a journal with you and write those goals down. When you write them, you send out a signal to the universe that you are committed to your goals. You now have these goals on paper, to read them, to remind you of them and to go back to them every time you feel like quitting or when life knocks you down.
- Work on your Goals:
You have to make plans and take action to make your goals come true. You can’t sit waiting for those goals to happen by themselves. Make a strategy and an action item to work towards your goal.
- Check the size and kind of your goals
In management circles, you often get to hear the term – BHAG. Have a BHAG – Big Hairy Audacious goal. Think of a goal that’s beyond your comfort zone. Everyone can achieve a goal that’s within their comfort zone and that’s what 90% of us do. We look for something that we are comfortable with, that we know we can achieve. Why aim for something that we can do, instead aim for something that is beyond our skill set, beyond our comfort levels and this will give us a feeling of achievement when we get to those goals. Move your goalpost and feel the pain, the pleasure of achieving those goals!
Plan like an Adult and believe in it like a Child:
Define your goals very precisely and believe in them like a child. A child has limitless potential until the age of 3 wherein their minds are not conditioned by parents, teachers and the environment. A child does not give up learning to walk even after umpteen failures of falling and hurting. They know nothing but to achieve their goals!
Describe your goals by what you want and ask with all your intelligence and the universe and nature is all-giving and listening to you.
Planning is important but believing in your goals however big they may seem, is much more important to succeed and progress fearlessly.
You won’t get everything you want
Remember, you have your goals set, you have made all your plans, you believe in your goals and you are on your way to achieve them… but remember; you won’t get everything you want. Don’t be disheartened, don’t give up. Nature does have a unique way of answering our queries. Like I said earlier, life is a journey and there are plenty of destinations that we pass through. We like some, we dislike some. But we should enjoy this journey, keep setting goals as this is what will keep us going, progressing further and make us feel alive!